Tuesday, July 27, 2010

THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY; UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN; SHIRLEY VALENTINE; EDUCATING RITA

WEEK 3

These pictures share more than the same female leading roles' names: FRANCESCA (The Bridges of Madison County), FRANCES (Under the Tuscan Sun)

There are several sentences/dialogues that could have been uttered in any of the movies above. Although they have different backdrops, they all deal with the subjects of love, marriage, changes, loneliness, freedom, conflict, to name a few.

The sentences/dialogues below have been extracted from the four film scripts in question.
Where you find "...:" there should be characters' names, which have been omitted.
You are not required to mention which character said what, but you are expected to suggest in which film this sentence/dialogue too place.

Write 1, if you think it was said in "The Bridges of Madison County";
2, if you think it was said in "Under the Tuscan Sun";
3, in "Shirley Valentine"; or
4, in "Educating Rita".

Example:

...: I realized love won't obey our expectations, it's mystery is pure and absolute.
Your opinion: 1
("The Bridges of Madison County" said by FRANCESCA - you may write only the number).

Enjoy it!

xxx
...: And in that moment, everything I knew to be true about myself up until then was gone. I was acting like another woman, yet I was more myself than ever before.

xxx

...: I enjoy a glass of wine while I'm preparing the evening meal... Chips and Egg

xxx

...: So, do you want more eggs or should we just fuck on the linoleum one last time?

xxx

...: And in that moment, everything I knew to be true about myself up until then was gone. I was acting like another woman, yet I was more myself than ever before.

xxx

...: Between Austria and Italy, there is a section of the Alps called the Semmering. It is an impossibly steep, very high part of the mountains. They built a train track over these Alps to connect Vienna and Venice. They built these tracks even before there was a train in existence that could make the trip. They built it because they knew some day, the train would come.

xxx

...:This kind of certainty comes but once in a lifetime.

xxx

...: If you smash into something good, you should hold on until it's time to let go.

xxx

...:Things change. They always do, it's one of the things of nature. Most people are afraid of change, but if you look at it as something you can always count on, then it can be a comfort.

xxx

...: Regrets are a waste of time. They're the past crippling you in the present.

xxx

...: I'm sorry for you, lad. If she was a wife of mine I'd drown her.
...: If I was a wife of yours I'd drown meself.

xxx

...: I know. I used to be The Mother. I used to be The Wife. But now I'm ..**.. again. Would you like to join me for a drink?

xxx

...: I don't often get the chance to talk to someone like you.
...: I'm honored you chose me.

xxx

...: Unthinkably good things can happen even late in the game. It's such a surprise.

xxx

...: I'm beginning to find me. It's great.

xxx

...: Oh, I hope he stays for a while. He needs a holiday. He needs to feel the sun on his skin and to be in water that's as deep as forever.

xxx

...: If you want me to stop, tell me now.
...: No one's asking you to.

xxx

...:I was just going to have some iced tea and split the atom, but that can wait.

xxx

...: We split up because of poetry.
...: You what?
...: One day, my wife explained to me that, for the past fifteen years, my output as a poet had dealt entirely with the part of our lives in which we discovered each other.
...: Are you a poet?
...: Was. And so, to give me something new to write about, she left me. A very noble woman, my wife - she left me for the good of literature. And remarkably it worked.
...:What, you wrote a lot of good stuff, did ya?
...: No. I stopped writing altogether.

xxx

...:The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.

xxx

...: I think that marriage is like the Middle East - there's no solution.

xxx

...: I mean, most fellas ya know, they've got no idea how to talk to a woman.
...: No?
...: No. They feel they have to take over the conversation. I mean, I mean with most fellas if you say something like, like my favorite season's autumn, they go oh, oh, my favorite season's spring and then you've got 10 minutes of them talkin' about why they like spring and you weren't talkin' about spring, you were talkin' about autumn. So what do you do? You talk about what they want to talk about. Or you don't talk at all. Or you wind up talking to yourself.

xxx

...: Don't kid yourself: you are anything but a simple woman.

1 comment: