Wednesday, June 30, 2010

BILLY ELLIOT (2000) - Week 1

BILLY ELLIOT


Director: Stephen Daldry
Producers: Greg Brenman, Jonathan Finn
Screenwriter: Lee Hall
Cast: Julie Walters, Jamie Bell, Jamie Draven, Gary Lewis, Jean Heywood, Stuart Wells, Nicola Blackwell

An Irish boy pursues his dream of learning to dance the ballet despite fierce opposition from his macho father and brother, who insist he learn to box and work in the local mine. Billy does not give up dancing. The buried pain in the father/son relationship is healed when the boy wins a chance to audition for the national ballet.

Go to
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249462/
and read some more about it!

Julio has sent us the lyrics to Cosmic Dancer (posted below)- Billy Elliot's theme song. Go to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6W8ZspPjj4&feature=PlayList&p=404562CD704A4451&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=56 and watch a beautiful video with Billy's dances and the song in the background.

Cosmic Dancer

T Rex

I was dancing when I was twelve
I was dancing when I was aaah
I danced myself right out the womb
Is it strange to dance so soon
I danced myself right out the womb

I was dancing when I was eight
Is it strange to dance so late
I danced myself into the tomb
Is it strange to dance so soon
I danced myself into the tomb

Is it wrong to understand
The fear that dwells inside a man
What's it like to be a loon
I liken it to a balloon

I danced myself out of the womb
Is it strange to dance so soon
I danced myself into the tomb
But when again once more

I danced myself out of the womb
Is it strange to dance so soon
I danced myself out of the womb.


THANKS, JULIO!

And...
Our near-future project stands...
Shirley Valentine; Under the Tuscan Sun; Educating Rita...

What do these pictures have in common?
How do they differ?


We will be watching these films in the coming months and will then schedule a special class to discuss the questions brought up above.

2 comments:

  1. Great movie. Beautiful soundtrack !

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and here is a very good link to Billy Elliot with interviews

    http://www.billyelliot.com/pages/home.html

    ReplyDelete